using on multiple portals in the same instance, and using with a different Auth provider

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Just wanted to let folks know a few things we have discovered with this awesome module.

1) by default, when you install it, it will only work with the portalid=0 portal. This might be left over from when there was a free version and a commercial version that by default it was only available on one portal (the 0 portalid one it looks like). If you want to use it on multiple portals, you can manually go into the table itcMetaPostPortals, and add your additional portal(s) there. I don't believe there is any UI for this, but adding it manually does work. 

2) If you want to use this with a different auth-provider than DNN (say Active directory or Facebook), there is a line in the code (metaPost.ashx.cs)

userInfo =UserController.ValidateUser(_portalSettings.PortalId, username, password, "",_portalSettings.PortalName, ipAddress, ref loginStatus);

where you could add the auto provider override

userInfo =UserController.ValidateUser(_portalSettings.PortalId, username, password, "Facebook","",_portalSettings.PortalName, ipAddress, ref loginStatus);

the better way to do this would be to make a settings for this module file that could be set per portal. For the default, you would use the string "DNN".

3) The version posted (1.3.10), does NOT work with DNN7, but I did talk to Scott from Ventrian, and he does have a fix for that so that it works with DNN7, we're trying to get it uploaded here to codeplex (he has to be made an admin on the project to be able to upload it).

Now that my company has migrated from Word 2002 to Word2010 (yeah!), we are finally able to use this great module (we can't get Livewriter approved here, but if you have the option that is even better to use than Word).

Editor
Jan 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Outstanding news on 7 support.  Fails on GetPortalInfo handshake....so look forward to seeing Scott's fix!

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM
rbarrow wrote:
Outstanding news on 7 support.  Fails on GetPortalInfo handshake....so look forward to seeing Scott's fix!  
Do you have any update on this?
Editor
Mar 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM
I have not heard anything further on this. I did work with Scott to get some issues with his News Articles (9.3) to work with 6.26 and metapost 1.3.10. He rolled his own WLW interface to NA and it appears there was a breaking conflict between his interface and th MP interface...he did fix it.

As far as MetaPost to DNN 7...nothing so far. For us, this locks us to DNN 6.26 or below as the WLW interface is more important than DNN 7 to our customers.